While Land O'Lakes Zambia staff members possessed some background expertise in the use and management of chemicals used in dairy livestock management, staff required more in-depth guidance in a number of areas that would enable them to ensure the highest quality technical advice is delivered in the field, that its work upholds U.S. Government standards, and that its reporting conforms with Regulation 216 on environmental requirements. Written technical guidance had been provided and one staff member had received training. However, most of the technical staff members requiring this support had not participated in formal training activities.
In this regard, Land O'Lakes Zambia had requested training in the following topic areas:
- Introduction to Regulation 216 Environmental monitoring and setting up an environmental management plan
- Environmental training for small scale farmers
- SAIDís expectations in an annual ESR
- Conducting a PERSUAP Ė when this should be conducted and why?
- Environmental issues at different stages of the dairy chain: farm, milk collection center, dairy processor
- USAIDís expectations of budgetary allocations to environmental activities and other environmental compliance issues